Uninsured / Under-Insured Claims
Uninsured / Under-Insured Motorist Attorney
Personal Injury Litigation for The Victims
Many of us are responsible drivers and carry good automobile insurance. But more and more often, serious injuries are caused by drivers who have inadequate vehicle insurance or none at all.
Almost half of all road accidents in California are now caused by an uninsured and under-insured drivers. Typically, uninsured motorists drive the most poorly maintained and unsafe cars on the road, and are the most careless drivers.
In California on average, about one third of drivers have no vehicle insurance, according to the California Department of Insurance. Actual percentages vary and in some areas run as high as 90%.
Uninsured/Under-insured Motorist Coverage
By law in California, insurance companies are required to offer coverage. It's to pay for injuries and damage caused by the hit and run driver who is legally responsible for the accident.
Your uninsured motorist coverage applies to you, as well as any family members or guests who are in your vehicle. And it covers you when you ride in someone else's vehicle, or if you're hit while walking.
- Your under-insured motorist coverage only comes into play when the other driver's liability limits are lower than your uninsured coverage limits. For example, if the driver at fault has a liability policy of $30,000.00 per person, you're only entitled to draw on your uninsured or under-insured motorist benefits if your coverage is for more $30,000.00 per person/$60,000.00 aggregate.
Compensation May Be Owed to You for:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Physical pain
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of ability to earn money in the future
- Various out-of-pocket expenses such as household help
If injuries are disabling or permanent, families suffer:
- Economic loss
- Mental anguish
- Loss of companionship in caring for an injured family member.
How Much Uninsured/ Under-insured Motorist Coverage Can I Buy?
Your insurance company is only required to issue a minimum of $30,000.00 per person, $60,000.00 aggregate.
If you buy a higher amount for your liability policy (which pays others for their injuries when you're at fault), you can buy a matching amount of uninsured I under-insured motorist coverage.
So for example, if you buy $100,000.00/$300,000.00 liability policy, you can usually buy uninsured motorist benefits in that amount as well.
- BUT, many insurance companies will automatically issue only the minimum amount of uninsured motorist coverage. So if you read your policy and discover this, contact your insurance broker to ask the cost of increasing it to the same amount as your liability coverage.
Is The Extra Cost Worth It?
Each of us must answer this for ourselves, given our priorities and general financial situation. But in view of the low percentage of drivers who have vehicle insurance California, it's probably a good idea to buy $100,000.00 per person/$300,000.00 aggregate if you can.
A good rule of thumb would be to match your uninsured motorist coverage to your liability coverage, thus buying as much protection for yourself and your loved ones as you buy for the protection of others.
If You're Hit by An Uninsured or Under-insured Driver
Consult a good accident attorney immediately. You'll need to protect your legal rights and those of your loved ones.
If serious injury is involved, the timeframe is even more important.
- Witnesses forget
- Evidence is lost or destroyed
- People re-locate
Insurance companies often delay payment, so the sooner you get a competent auto accident attorney working for you, the greater your chances of obtaining all the restitution you deserve.
Selecting the right attorney is an important decision. You should choose someone who is experienced and dedicated to working towards fair compensation for your injuries.
Contact us at The Law Offices of Frederick J. Sette. We have successfully represented thousands of auto accident and auto injury victims over the past decade and will work aggressively on your behalf.
IF YOU OR A LOVED ONE HAS BEEN INJURED IN AN ACCIDENT,
IT IS IMPORTANT TO PROTECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS.
PLEASE CALL US TOLL- FREE AT 1-888-516-6262
OR CLICK HERE FOR A FREE CONFIDENTIAL CASE EVALUATION